Apple Cider is fantastic by itself but also an amazing ingredients that can be used to maximise the flavour of other dishes. Try this Apple Cider Chicken Drumstick recipe.
• 1 can (6 ounces) thawed apple juice concentrate
• 1/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
• 2 Gala apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
• 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 2 cups cooked brown rice
1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine apple juice concentrate, cider vinegar, pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add chicken; shake to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat oven to 375°F. Place a rack in a roasting pan and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve the marinade. Place the chicken in the roasting pan and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Roast for 50 to 60 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 170°F on an instant-read thermometer. Baste with marinade twice during cooking.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add apples; saute for 6 minutes, turning apples halfway through cooking. Remove apples to a plate and keep warm.
4. Wipe out the skillet and add the marinade. Bring to a simmer. In a medium bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, flour and Dijon mustard. Gradually whisk in the heated apple juice concentrate mixture. Return mixture to the skillet and simmer for an additional minute.
5. Serve the chicken with the apples, brown rice and sauce.